Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dreaming of hollyhocks and sunshine...

Some lovely hollyhock embroidery on a vintage doily... just waiting to be made into little shoes  
More beautiful hollyhocks from this book, a withdrawn book from my local library, the pictures were too pretty to leave it unwanted.

My hollyhocks in the vege garden, early summer. I fluked it with the pink hollyhocks and sweet peas growing in the same plot, and the white ones in another. 

Apparently I have ALOT of floral in my wardrobe, an observation I cannot dispute.  I love florals in clothing, they make me feel feminine and they also remind me of Spring and Summer, which can't come soon enough I might add! I've got a stash of beautiful vintage embroidered doilies and tablecloths (just waiting to be made into little shoes and aprons) which I've been ironing, while the rain pelts my studio windows. I wonder if the clever women behind them were also dreaming of Spring? I imagine many a favourite hollyhock, or iris, were carefully embroidered through the dreary winter months.

Here's a couple of pairs I've made recently, one with my favourite vintage Sanderson, the other vintage embroidered linen...



I hope it's cosy in your house... if you too don't have any sunshine x

ps. Joining in here.

10 comments:

  1. Those shoes are so beautiful, Sarah. I love your garden, it looks massive *stares disdainfully at her handkerchief-sized lawn*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy.. the shoes are just adorable. all that talk on florals has me missing and looking forward to spring.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they are just so cute!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are beautiful, what a beautiful little heirloom piece for a wee one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always in awe of the way certain clothing inspires.....and I'm wearing a floral blouse today so maybe I am dreaming of Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting from Sunshinex3 - show and tell link. These are awesome. So gorgeous. Great with a party dress I am sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are so adorable I just love them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute shoes! And I just adore Hollyhocks :)) Looking forward to seeing them again this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those shoes are so gorgeous! So pleased to have found your blog - thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute little shoes. Gorgeous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...